Tips for DIY Moving
Moving doesn’t have to be expensive, especially when you do it yourself. Your next move can be affordable and efficient with the right tools and practices in place.
If you have an upcoming move and are looking for ways to save time and money, keep reading.
It can be overwhelming when you look at your home and think of all the things you need to pack and clean before you move. Taking your time to pack in an organized way can not only make the moving process less stressful, but can make unpacking easy.
- Purge - When you are about to start packing you should do a bit of a mental inventory of what you have in your home. Think about the things that have been sitting in storage, will not work well in your new home, or things you are just done with and sell them. You can list these items on Craigslist, Facebook sales groups and other websites to make a bit of extra money. This can help you to free up space and earn money to help to cover your moving costs. You may also want to have a moving sale to get rid of items more quickly, but make sure to price items to sell. Things that do not sell you can offer for free, donate or throw away.
- Find Free Packing Materials - The cost of boxes and packing material can add up quickly. That is why you should look to pack things in items you already own and seek out free packing materials. You can often ask for boxes at your local grocery or superstore. If you call a few days ahead they can make sure to set them aside for you. You can also look to pack your items in your laundry baskets, storage tubs and suitcases. Forget about buying expensive bubble wrap or wrapping paper and use your own towels, clothing, newspapers or sheets to protect fragile items.
- Pack yourself - Packing yourself not only is the cheapest option out there, it can also allow you to pack with care and organization. Give yourself lots of time to pack so that it will be less overwhelming. You can begin by packing up items that you don’t use every day like décor, books, games and seasonal clothing. Once you get closer to your moving date you can begin to pack your more essential items like your cookware and toiletries. Packing your own items allows you to organize boxes to your own liking, which will make unpacking that much easier.
- Label - You should label all of your boxes when you are packing because it can save you a lot of stress and headache when it is time to unpack. Make labels that include what type of items the box contains (décor, toiletries), what room it is to go in, and if it is fragile. Label the box on multiple sides so that you can read the label from various angles.
- Rent a moving truck - Renting a moving truck instead of hiring a moving company to transport your goods to your new home can save you a lot of money. Renting a moving truck also allows you to do things on your own schedule, including packing and unpacking the truck. Call local companies to find the best quote for your moving needs.